Construction can negatively impact the environment. As the construction industry grows, it is important to take steps towards reducing the impact that construction has on the environment.
How Does Construction Impact the Environment?
The construction of a new building can cause harm to the environment in many ways. Some things that negatively impact the environment include:
- CO2 emissions – According to an article published in Bold Business, the construction sector contributes to 25% – 40% of the world’s carbon emissions.
- Pollution – Construction causes both air and water pollution. Harmful chemicals used during construction can be harmful to both workers and the environment.
- Waste – The process of constructing new infrastructure produces a lot of waste that ends up in landfills.
- Burning of fossil fuels – The construction process requires the burning of fossil fuels which produces greenhouse gases and harms the environment.
- Energy use – The newly constructed buildings use energy which can add to the negative impact on the environment.
- Harming wildlife – During construction, clearing vegetation and excavating can destroy wildlife and habitats.
How Can the Impact of Construction on the Environment be Reduced?
There are many things that can be done to help reduce the environmental impact of construction. Some of these things include:
- Designing sustainable construction projects
- Increasing the energy efficiency of buildings
- Using sustainable building materials
- Setting emission reduction targets
- Minimizing the discharge of pollutants
It is extremely important to protect the environment from harm. Taking steps towards building green and reducing carbon emissions in construction will go a long way in protecting the world we live in.
How Can TSC Help?
Total Safety Consulting can help with the reduction of environmental impact of construction projects. Some of the site safety services we can provide at TSC address hazards that go beyond the site and negatively impact the environment. These services include:
- Fire safety managers who can prevent fire hazards
- Keeping chemicals and electrical work from being compromised and causing an accident
- Preventing stop work orders that keep the site closed, causing work to drag on and affect the environment
If you are interested in learning more about the services TSC provides, contact us today!